Wow, it has been amazing to see the number of attendees grow day by day. It is inspiring and empowering to see people come together to stand up for Reproductive Rights. This is our opportunity to show the country that we will not remain quiet in response to these unprecedented attacks on women. While many of us are angry and frustrated, we want to follow the example of those across the world that are making their voices heard to their governments in a constructive, peaceful way.
We want to make this event empowering and supportive and in that vein ensure that the tone stays upbeat and non-threatening. Another reason that we want to ensure this tone is because we fully expect that there will be counter-protesters, and we want to make sure that we do not engage with them nor become sidetracked from our message. We will not be able to change these counter-protesters views and their goal is to engage and anger us, so channel your inner strength and don?t let them win- just move forward with our message.
Here are some details that might be helpful for Saturday:
There is parking all around Lake Merritt and Lakeside Park. There is pay-for street parking near the shops. We would suggest you try and take AC Transit?lines 57 and the NL are the major lines that run by the front of the Lake, but we advise using tripplanner.transit.511.og to plan your route through public transit. Lake Merritt also has a BART stop.
We will start at 12pm and end at 2:30/3pm
We will have about 50 minutes of speakers! Lots of letters from politicians—like Rep. Jackie Speier. Though she is not able to make it, she is sending a constituent to read on her behalf.
This is our midway point! Lakeside Park.
This is where the restrooms are at following the midway point!
Here is our ending point! There will be spoken word performed, photos, facepainting, etc.
- We have a voice, we have a choice!
- Eliminating Title X= Will cost tax payers more $
- Don?t take away my breast cancer screenings
- Don?t take away my Birth Control
- Title X Saves Lives
- Family planning = saves $
- Hey, Congress, let them be Planned Parenthood was there for me!
- We Have A Voice, We Have A Choice!
- Walk and Roll, Walk and Roll!
- Keep Your Rosaries off my Ovaries!
- They Say ?No Choice? we say ?Pro-Choice?
What to bring?
- An orange shirt, or whatever else you have that is orange (this is the theme color)